Making Motorcycling a Summer Breeze
There’s nothing quite like the heady combination of summer sun and a long-awaited motorcycle road trip. Whether you’re looking forward to a short excursion or a long distance journey, it pays to be prepared – mentally, physically, and with all the right protection. Take a moment and review these essential tips before you head out the door.
- Get training. There’s no substitute for professional motorcycle training. If you haven’t already done so, sign yourself up.
- Gear up. Always wear an approved motorcycle helmet and make sure it’s properly fastened. Wear protective clothing and gear.
- Be visible. Wear colors that can easily be seen – especially after dark.
- Check it out. Do a thorough pre-trip check of your bike, including headlight, brakes and tires.
- Be aware. Communicate with other drivers and use proper signals and establish eye contact with them whenever possible.
- Keep your distance. Make sure there’s plenty of room between you and the vehicles ahead and behind you – and when passing.
- Drive Smart. Always drive with weather and road conditions in mind. Slow down and take curves at a safe speed.
- Stop and look TWICE before proceeding into intersections.
- Riding with a passenger? Make sure they are appropriately dressed and that they know to keep their feet on the foot pegs and their hands around your waist at all times.
- Stay alert. Take frequent breaks on longer trips. Limit the distance you travel to no more than 500 km/day, to ensure you’re always in peak performance.
The surest way to enjoy your motorbike is to know you’ve done your part to make it as safe and carefree as possible. That includes being covered for any accidents or injuries. Steers’ friendly, knowledgeable agents are ready to help you choose the best insurance protection – whatever your needs. So call us today, and make the most of motorcycle season.