Home Maintenance Matters
Ah, Springtime. The grass! The sunshine! The gutters! Yes, it’s true that the season of rebirth is also the season of repairs. The time of year when we venture outside to survey the damage and debris that Winter has brought. To help you get through it quickly and efficiently, we’ve compiled a list of home maintenance-minders so you can roll up your sleeves and tackle whatever Winter left in its wake.
- Clear that gutter! Your evestrough is a serious collector of leaves and general gunk. Check for granules at the bottom that could signify your roof needs replacement or repair.
- Inspect the roof! Look for curled and missing shingles, rusted or pitted flashing and cracked caulking around pipes, skylights, chimney, etc. (tip: you can inspect many roofs with a pair of binoculars).
- Repair that paint! Use a pressure hose to spray your siding and loosen any chipped paint. Prevent wood from rotting by promptly repainting all exposed areas.
- Trim those branches! Overhanging limbs can cause moisture to accumulate on roof and siding. Ideally, try to keep branches 5-7 feet from building.
- Clear the way! To prevent slips, trips, and falls, now is the time to fix uneven or cracked walkways and clear away any branches or other debris that’s sneaked onto your property.
- Inspect those seals! Check seals around all windows, doors, and foundation, and repair as necessary to help keep out water and cold drafts. Condensation between window panes means the seal has been damaged and needs repair or replacement.
- Measure that slope! Good drainage is essential to helping keep your foundation out of trouble. Use a tape measure to ensure you have at least a six inch slope over 10 feet, from foundation.
- Vacate the dryer vent! Not all lint gets caught in your dryer’s lint trap. For fire safety, check and clear the outside vent at least twice a year.
- Check out that chimney! Have your chimney cleaned to clear any creosote that could cause a chimney fire.
- Don’t spring a leak! Now is the perfect time to check washer, dishwasher and air conditioner hoses to head off any water damage.
So, spring into action! Just a few hours of maintenance is all it takes to get your home in shape for the upcoming swimsuit season. And by the way, this is the ideal time to review your insurance needs to reflect any recent changes in your family or property. Steers is here – rain or shine – with friendly, expert answers to any questions that may (ahem) spring up.