Deck The Halls…
Lights, trees, candles, and boughs of holly… they all help to make the holidays warm and welcoming. But if we’re not careful, your cozy Christmas could become a catastrophe. Here are some important tips to help you deck the halls in a fire-smart way:
- Ensure real trees are freshly cut with a strong green colour and fragrance. Place tree in 2-3 litres of water, away from all heat sources. Top up water daily, and discard tree within 10-14 days.
- Choose flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive decorations.
- Use only CSA-certified light sets; and never use indoor sets, outdoors; and vice-versa.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or run wires under carpet or rugs; and do not coil or bunch wires together.
- Inspect all light sets before use and replace bulbs or faulty wires immediately.
- Never use electric lights on metallic trees.
- Turn off all tree and display lights before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Place candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, far from children, pets, and anything flammable. Never leave a lit candle unattended.
- Never burn gift wrappings in a fireplace. Their fast burn generates far too much heat.
- Keep Christmas stockings away from the mantel, and use a screen when fireplace is lit.
- Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Never leave a fire unattended or smouldering. Clean ashes regularly by placing in a metal container and storing, outside, away from flammable materials.
For even more fire-safe tips, visit the Canada Safety Council at www.canadasafetycouncil.org. Remember, by making smart, thoughtful choices, you can help ensure your family enjoys a safe and memorable holiday season. And Steers is always here with friendly advice and service. Have a Happy and Safe Holiday!