Why do I need to insure my cottage (or other seasonal dwellings)?

If you have a cottage, you may wish to have it insured as part of the same policy as your condominium or tenant insurance. Coverage is usually more limited than with dwellings that are occupied year-round and are close to water mains, police and firefighting services. Burglary can be purchased, but not theft. For a claim to be considered there must be signs of forcible entry. Vandalism and malicious acts are not covered either, but can often be purchased separately.. In winter, make sure that snow does not accumulate on the roof; a collapse due to the weight of snow would not be covered. With cottage insurance, it’s important you understand the policy’s limits before you agree to coverage. Remember to include outbuildings, fences and so on when calculating the coverage you need.