What other buildings are covered?

Separate structures and buildings on the same premises as the primary dwelling are also covered for specified amounts, usually up to 10% of the main coverage. This could apply to detached garages, for example, or even to garden sheds. If 10% seems too low, consider buying additional coverage.

About Cottages: If you have a cottage, you may want to insure it separately, or you may wish to have it insured on the same policy as your home insurance. Coverage is usually more limited than with dwellings that are occupied year-round and are close to watermains, police and firefighting services. Burglary can be purchased, but not theft; in other words, for a claim to be considered, there must be signs of forcible entry. Vandalism and malicious acts are not covered either, but can often be purchased separately. In winter, make sure that snow does not accumulate on the roof; a collapse due to the weight of snow would not be covered. Your broker can explain further. With cottage insurance, it’s particularly important to invest whatever time it takes to be certain that you understand the policy’s limits before you agree to coverage. Remember to include outbuildings, fences, and so on when calculating the coverage you need.