Sales of dashboard cameras are brisk and their popularity is growing, as more and more drivers seek out the device to give them video evidence for auto insurance claims in case of an accident. Consumers were initially skeptical about the purpose of the device but today it has become a valuable tool in helping police track down drivers who may have left the scene of an accident.
The small camera, which can be mounted on the windshield, can be positioned to record the interior of the vehicle or can be pointed forward to capture whatever’s going on in front of the car – and all kinds of strange things can be captured on your camera. The number of hours it records depends on the size of the SD card and the car does not need to be running for the unit to work. There are a wide array of dash cameras to choose from, from the low-end to high-end – time and data stamps, two lenses as well as a color display – the choice is entirely yours, depending on your budget, needs, and preferences.
On the positive side, the camera provides more information for insurance purposes, giving insurance companies real data that they can use to make proper decisions on claims; it also may curb reckless driving, since a motorist will now know their driving behaviour is being recorded. However, there is some concern that the device could become a distraction while driving.
Here’s a few considerations as to why you should consider buying a dash cam and installing it in your vehicle:
- You have first-hand evidence of a car accident should there be any question of who is liable
- You can keep an eye on your unattended vehicle. Most dash cameras have standby and can turn on if it feels motion in or around the car – by vandals, thieves, or unusual acts of nature.
- A dash cam is the perfect solution for undisciplined drivers and provides the ultimate proof against bad drivers.
- Dash cams are perfect for driving instructors and worried parents with GPS devices that are embedded in them, recording the driving speed as well as the different street routes driven.
- You can prevent insurance fraud against you – some drivers purposely cause car accidents just to put the blame on the other party in order to extort money from the victim.
- You can record your entire road trip and have a memory you will cherish over the years.
At Steers Insurance, we believe that risk prevention and insurance go hand-in-hand, and we are committed to supporting you in taking proactive steps to help prevent insurance fraud on you and your vehicle. If you’d like more information, have a question, or would like an auto insurance quote, call Steers Insurance at 709-722-1532 or Toll-Free at 1-877-478-3377 today.